Family Violence Foundations
This free online learning package will provide you with foundational knowledge about preventing and responding to family violence and violence against women.
Preventing and responding to family violence is the collective responsibility of a wide variety of professionals. Family Violence Foundations is a key starting point for everyone who has a role to play.
This course provides a common starting point upon which professionals may seek to develop the skills needed to undertake their role in family violence prevention and response.
The course content is based on the foundational knowledge requirements in the Responding to Family Violence and Preventing Family Violence and Violence against Women Capability Frameworks. These frameworks outline the knowledge and skills that all professionals, managers, leaders and advocates need to effectively prevent and respond to violence against women and family violence.
On successful completion of all quiz tasks, participants will receive a certificate of completion.
Who is this training for?This course is for professionals working to prevent or respond to violence against women and family violence, including:
- Professionals who come into contact with adult and child victim survivors and/or perpetrators of family violence in the course of their work - including professionals working in health, justice, human services and education.
- New workers in specialist family violence response services.
- Professionals who have a role to play in preventing violence before it occurs – for example, primary prevention practitioners and professionals in education, local government, media or recreational settings.
- Students considering a career in the family violence or primary prevention sectors.
The course consists of 16 self-paced modules spread across four streams. On average, it takes 20 minutes to complete each module.
What will I learn?
Stream 1: Violence against women Definitions and prevalence of violence against women; common attitudes, beliefs and myths that drive violence against women; gender inequality and violence against women; the gendered nature of violence.
Stream 2: Family violence Definitions, dynamics and impacts of family violence; the indicators of family violence; referral pathways for diverse victim survivors and perpetrators.
Stream 3: Intersectionality, cultural safety and responsiveness Intersectionality and systemic discrimination; violence against Aboriginal women; Aboriginal family violence and cultural safety; cultural responsiveness for culturally and linguistically diverse communities.
Stream 4: Family violence, children and young people The nature, impacts and indicators of family violence for children and young people; supporting children and young people’s safety; legislative and statutory requirements.
CostThis is a free course.
Participating OnlineFamily Violence Foundations will be held on our Learning Management System, Canvas. To access the course, you’ll need:
- A reliable internet connection.
- Google Chrome or Safari for Mac users for your web browser.
- Access to your email.
- Headphones or speakers if you need to hear the voice recording instructions.
Our online software meets the WCAG 2.0AA standards for accessible online content. Text transcripts and/or closed captions are available for all audio and video content.
If you’d like to discuss your accessibility requirements or need any further information about the accessibility standards of our online Learning Management System, please get in touch at [email protected].
Instructions to register online
- Find the course below and click the ‘enrol’ button on the right-hand side.
- Enter your name, surname and email address and click ‘create’.
- If you’ve registered with us before (with the same email address), you’ll have an existing account. A notice will appear letting you know an existing record has been found. An email will be sent to your email address titled ‘Incomplete Online Booking’.
- Open the email, and click on the second link provided. This will take you back to the registration page to resume your registration.
|Name||Course Start Date||Course End Date||Cost|
|FVF-SP Family Violence Foundations v1.0 16||30/11/2021||05/01/2022||$0.00|